22 Things I've Learned At 22

| On
Tuesday, April 04, 2017

I recently turned 22 and it kind of hit me that I'm not a kid any more, but I'm not quite an adult either. I left school 6 years ago, and even that feels like it was just yesterday. I am surrounded by my peers, some who are still pissing about at uni getting smashed every weekend and not being able to hold down full time jobs, and on the other end of the spectrum I have friends who are married with a child and another on the way!

I am very much stuck in the middle. I have been working in a professional full time job for 4 years now, I am in a committed relationship, I don't waste money on booze every weekend but rather put it away to buy my first house. However, at the same time, I am still so immature in the way I act and view certain things.

I am still living at home, I'm currently in a job that I don't see me progressing in any further, I watch shit loads of TV and I still think that somehow I will become a famous singer, even though I cannot sing.

What I am trying to get at is, I don't know what point I should be at in my life. I am still growing and learning new things about myself every day, but there are a few things, 22 to be precise, that I have learnt along the way that I do know to be true.


1. Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life. Being so young there is almost no need to get stuck in a dead end job. When your overheads are so low, now is the time in your life to pursue your passion.

2. Dogs, Cats and Birds are animals I will just never get on board with. Nuh-uh. They are aggressive and weird.

3. Friends will come and go, but your family are forever. You might not necessarily fall out with someone, but a time might come when you start to drift apart. People change and grow in different ways. This can be somewhat harder than a fall out, but don't stress too much, you always find someone else who is on your level.

4. Always be kind and polite. You never know what someone might be going through, and your shitty attitude doesn't help.

5. Learn how to forgive, but never forget. Experiencing hurt is what builds a persons character, but holding a grudge against everyone who may have crossed you can be self-destructive. So forgive and consider it a life lesson for who you trust in the future.

6. Embrace your culture!! For years I neglected my Indian heritage, all I ever wanted to be was white to fit in. Celebrating the traditions and wearing the attire was a chore to me. But now I realise just how important and precious these experiences are. I am 100% proud of who I am and where I came from and feel so stupid for being so close minded all those years.

7. Now I'm not saying be a huge hoe and stand on street corner selling your coochie for money, but what I want to stress is don't be shy when it comes to dating. You need to talk to guys and go through heartaches, otherwise you end up being naïve AF and getting walked all over. Learn to identify your fuckboys from your gentlemen.

8. Y'know that Karma thing everyone talks about? Yeah, she's real and she's a massive bitch. There is nothing in this world that I believe more than what goes around comes around. Keep those bad vibes to yo'self, or she gon' get ya.

9. Set some life goals and aspirations. Having a plan in place gives you motivation and if you are a believer in the law of attraction then it will help you millions. If you are adamant that you will achieve something, then you will. So, have a game plan. Plus, checking things off a list is THE most satisfying feeling.

10. Do not speed and use your phone when driving! Are you fucking stupid?! The text can wait, and if you're worried about being late, leave earlier! There's no excuse.

11. Getting a job in the service industry is and always will be one of the best decisions you can ever make. When you experience how much shit those people deal with on a daily basis for such shitty money, you will appreciate them so much more. Also, they won't spit in your food so that's a bonus.

12. No music will ever beat Old R&B, don't get it twisted. Don't come at me with your Taylor Swift and Pop Rock, I ain't interested. Gimme my Destiny's Child and Usher back.

13. Always carry a hair bobble. There is no worse time that when you are trying to work or drive and your hair is in your face giving you grief and distracting you.

14. Invest in your hair and nails. I never used to take the time to do my nails and hair, but now I do. My hair stays healthy and shiny, and having my nails done regularly means I don't have to walk aroynd with gross chipped nail varnish a few days after I have painted them. I'm also a strong believer that if you know you look good, you feel good.

15. You need to have a good skincare routine in place by now. I disregarded my skin for years, I would sleep with make up on, rarely use face wash, and use baby wipes to remove my make up. I know, I am a make up guru's worst nightmare. But, recently I have created my own skincare regime and although my skin was never actually too bad, the difference in my complexion and glow has improved immensely. If I still haven't managed to convinced you, check out my post on Cleansing, Toning and Moisturising

16. Everything you see on social media is through rose tinted glasses. Trust me when I say, I know how it feels to see your childhood friends doing absolutely amazing things. It is difficult not to feel that tinge of jealousy but my best advice would be: don't compare yourself. Yes they look like they are super successful, but always remember people will only post what they want you to see. 

17. Take your damn time and chill tf out. It's not a race. You don't need to buy a house at 20, you don't need to find your soul mate and have a child before 25. A lot of your friends seem like they have their shit together and you're still binging Netflix all weekend. But, it's really no big deal. Enjoy your life, go on extravagant holidays, watch the whole box set in 24 hours, buy the handbag, get a new car. Live your life. Your twenties are the years to be selfish and spoil yourself. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare?

18. Your mom is your bestie, TREASURE HER. I don't know where I would be without my mom. She has supported every decision I've made, even if it might have been the wrong one. She has helped me when I needed guidance. She taught me every life lesson that has led to a very wise head on these shoulders. She taught me unconditional love. She's just the best person on this planet. 

19. Pay attentions to your friends hobbies and interests. Your Boyf wants to go to a football match? Join him. Bestie wants to see a band you've never heard of? Go! You might learn something about yourself and your loved ones will definitely appreciate you showing an interest in things they love. Plus, gives you ammunition when they won't go with you to see that new rom com or beauty launch!

20. Always dress like you're going to bump in your enemy, or even worse; your ex. I get it, we all have those days when you're just popping to the shops so you head out with no makeup, specs and your scruffs. But, one thing I do try to do is to take complete pride in my appearance. This takes me back to if you look good, you feel good. Outchea lookin' like a bo$$ a$$ bitch erryday.

21. Keep up to date with current events and politics. In the UK we are lucky enough to have the opportunity to contribute to decisions made in this county. But I can't stress enough how important it is to educate yourselves on these matters before you do. Quite often people will vote based on what they have seen on the TV, which is mostly a very distorted truth. These decisions are impacting your life directly, so read up, before you speak up! 

22. Finally! Be yourself, love yourself and thoroughly enjoy your own company. You're fucking awesome, your body is banging, your personality is sparkling and you will achieve anything you want if you believe you can.   
I apologise for the epic long post, but that's what happens when you age! *cries*


How old are you and what are some important life lessons you have learned along the way?
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature